Well, I was all set to post early today & have almost a whole day of catching up with all the things I should have done before like finishing off pieces & actually getting them framed & on to the wall. Oh & a bit of weeding... So I got tangled up in stitching on the beads & the hanging cords - well, you wanted a twiggier twig didn't you?!!! ;) Then a phone call, then could you believe too much sunlight outside, too breezy to set the things down in the shade & so I settled on the studio floor but could I see the shadow that the camera picked up? No. I fiddled with brightness & contrast & just made it worse so here they are as all I can manage.
I decided to do a creamy gold hanging & was amazed by all the white flowers I have & the weeds in the fields around. I took 8 in all I think but that would be another half day gone if I showed you them all - one day ;) So I chose the Shasta daisy, right on the edge of my garden or it would take over
the common daisy, a blown out pic, sorry, to much sun, see?
& meadowsweet down just above the shore
For the sample & hanging I laid down some undyed wool tops & strips of all my white cream & gold bits pieces. No blending visible with white wool on white fabric but it feels nice & soft. For the large daisy I suggested the white with squares & strips of a shinyish cotton (?) for the tiny daisys, squares of silk only just needled down which ruched them up nicely & builders scrim for the meadowsweet.
When it came to the metalic gold petal stitching I got into technical difficulties, bending the needle by fme stitching thru my index finger, quite a shock but managed to keep the blood from 2 holes off the pale fabric! I then broke 2 needles, thats 3 in less than half an hour! but they turned out to be 70 (70 whats I don't know!) & found a 90 by scrabbling about thru every basket & box. 70 obviously couldn't cope with the intense amount of stitches in the middle of the flowers. Enjoyed meandering over the piece with hand stitching - it felt like plain sailing after the needle incident...til the beads.
While I was in the white mode I stuck together a couple of cuffs - I recently sold a creamy one, a few colored ones , oh & a couple of the 'After Ruth Rae' collages I did earlier this year so as the white stuff is still out I'll make a couple more for the show...time is passing!
The youngest got back from Mongolia safely having had a fabulous time, loved trekking on the horses, didn't like loosing his pics by formatting by mistake - his leader might have a program that will retrieve them...nor was digging a toilet for the orphanage, part of the project, 2m deep by 1 1/2 wide his favorite thing! preferred teaching English & playing with the kids. Took a pic for me every time he saw felt & lined up the felt hostel slippers to show me, very touching, hope the pics aren't lost. He also brought back a prayer flag so I've tied it in the wind & said 'health & happiness' all over it, so here's hoping!
There's an interesting video on felt & a Mongolian 'fantasy yurt' on Quitlers Cottage Norfolks blog, (on my roll). I'm interested in making a prayer flag or 2 but not a ger (Mongolian for yurt) ;)
Right, 7 hrs left til bedtime - I will not be distracted! (she says hopefully)