Monday 4 April 2016

In honour of Maggi

Very upset to hear the news of  Maggi's death, a blog buddy since I started 6 years ago. I didn't really think then, that it was possible to have 'on-line' friendships, especially with people not even met but it seems it is. We had fun supporting each others endeavors, she was always interested & always bothered to give her opinion, to share her advice. I shall miss that. I was saddened to hear of her illness earlier in the year - I simply asked what she had been doing with herself lately & she replied 'fighting lung cancer'. I reminded her of the words she'd used in my 50th postcard swap 6 years ago "if you can imagine it, you can achieve it" -  I was hoping she'd use the phrase for having enough strength for the fight. I'll add her to the list in my heart of all the people I come across each year with cancer & think of her when in September we have the Macmillan fundraiser. It's all I can do, really except I'm thinking of all her friends & family.

So I decided to make this piece in her honour, a work in progress which I started on Saturday.



 lots more stitching to do, thinking of Maggi with each stitch. I shall finish it tonight.

I didn't get further today as we had the Youngest home for a long weekend & went for a jaunt despite the rain to Fiskavaig, the middle of the West coast of Skye

The Oyster Shed, heard lots about it, scallops & chips under cover in the rain with a changing view, wonderful.

open spaces


an extrusion or two


between the tides, this is changed every time the water goes out



my first primroses, over exposed as they are




I must look this up - I can feel a printing block of some sort coming on. How perfect is this?!




Macleod's Maidens in the distance


4 of the latest 5 inch pieces for Made on Monday with Kate Bridger

Spring Garden

Birch Trees

Camelia

Crocus
I do love the bare branches in my garden but look forward to the leaves, too.

a sketchbook page & a lovely beachcombed twig from the DH


My 'suggestion' sample for part of the land on the Map of Raasay, the community project I'm helping with. Perhaps a little wild?


this one is a blue version, an idea sample for part of the sea around the island. Lots more stitching, couching down & hand stitch to do. I'm enjoying it. I find it creative, just because, i find it has purpose because it might inspire someone else to create something they can be proud of but also, I find it a comfort, theraputic - a word oft over sused but no  less meaningful for that - we all need a bit of comfort therapy to be able to deal with that which life throws at us almost daily.

13 comments:

https://tastytextiles.blogspot.com/ said...

Sad news for you, but beautiful stitching in her memory and such wonderful photos of your outings. I love the exciting pieces of art.

ArterNet Art - Online Art Gallery said...

I also share you thoughts about Maggie. Thanks for writing them. So sad. A lovely person gone way too soon.
Regards
Averil

ju-north said...

Sorry to hear about Maggi. I heard about her when I met up with Linda V earlier this year. So sad

Jan said...

It is rough to lose our friend Maggi too soon. Love your tribute piece, what a lovely idea. I may just follow your example. All your pieces are beautiful. Take care.

Julie said...

Your tribute to Maggi is lovely. I shall miss meeting up with her for occasional days out to exhibitions. Cancer is a very cruel thing. Glad you had a lovely day out with your son. xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece for your friend. So sorry for your loss. Cancer sucks, it takes it's toll on all of us. xox

chocolatefrog said...

I didn't know Maggi but have been moved by all the tributes I've seen... she'll clearly be much missed but has left a very positive impact on our world.
Love your pussy willow, so sensitively stitched. And the Raasay samples are exciting, but I wonder how you'll get land and sea to contrast? Rather you than me!

Suztats said...

I followed Maggi's blog for some time, but did not know she was ill and fighting cancer. So sad to hear of her passing. I hope each stitch on your piece to honour her brings lovely memories and a comfort for your loss. Hugs

Jackie said...

I think th blogging community is with you wholeheartedly in memory of lovely Maggi. I feel we are close knit despite the fact that I am not such regular blogger or reader these days. She commented loyally. So sad. What a lovely post. I'm sure she approves. X

Robin Mac said...

What a lovely tribute to Maggi. Like you, I initially thought you could not form a real relationship with people you have never met except online, but over the years I have felt really close to all my blogging mates. We will all miss Maggi so much, she was an inspiration.

I love your stitching, and the photos of your outing. You have such contrasting scenery in Sky over the seasons.

Neacag said...

Lovely piece for Maggi. Isn't it amazing that we can have such friendships. Wish I had your patience and creativity.

Living to work - working to live said...

Thanks for this little bit of closure.

And as I 'blogged' recently, FB might be fine for a quick 'Hi there' but you build proper relationships with blogging.

Thanks for keeping it up.

Maggi used to pop by my blog too. We never met, though I think we passed by each other at Uttoxeter once.

Love your little posts on Raasay. I can tell you a tale about Raasay from my youth, but that's probably for another day,

H xxx

Anonymous said...

Love your weekly pieces - I really need to get into a habit like this to get me going again! So sad to hear about Maggi - my heart goes out to those who knew her better than I did.