Wednesday 1 October 2014

Have the Swallows gone?

What a beautiful day - sunshine & showers ........twice, followed by sunshine. I will appreciate the light now that it's starting to get dark earlier, the gloaming drawing in. I love the Autumn but first I need to embrace it, get used to it & I have to admit the swallows have gone - it's October after all.





 

To hang on to the summer just a little longer I'll show you these shadows I came across a while ago, an Elder tree moving in the breeze, I was absolutely mesmerized. It was possibly moving about a little too much but I can see a screen being made out of one or two but oh, how to choose! Has anybody used a UK based screen maker before? I used the wonderful Linda Stokes all the way in Australia last time!


I haven't made much, working to live has got in the way a little but the season is calming down now so I may have more time to make hearts like the one above cut from a lovely tea tray cloth - I'm inspired to use vintage tray cloths by talented artists like Cas Holmes & Helen McKenna. I felt dreadful cutting it but I think it's worked well (& I don't really do tray cloths) & possibly birds & more trees for the Christmas (!) Craft Fair end of November & cards & 'gifts' & things. Will I make a Christmas Stocking or 2?

I did cut my peacock fabric, it was languishing in the corner & needed to move on a step.


I'd  already made the strips below & would stitch one or 2 of an evening when my eyes could stay open


I love edges
& rolls

& this above is vaguely what it will look like, as a small wall hanging


My New Dawn rose is over but there is one bloom hanging on delightfully high up into the birch by the front gate.


Honeysuckle thru the downstairs loo window, what a pleasure to watch. There is one flower hanging on there, too. I will sketch it before it goes.

Thanks for waiting for me to come back!

15 comments:

Maggi said...

Love the shadows. I use Claire Higgot, she is very friendly and always willing to answer any queries. I used to beta round the postage issue by having them delivered to the Bramble Patch to pick up there but I can't do that any more. Check out her website.
http://www.thermofaxscreens.co.uk

Your strips and the heart are beautiful. It certainly doesn't feel like Autumn here at the moment although I have had to clear up a load of leaves today in the very warm sunshine.

Living to work - working to live said...

I was going to suggest Claire too. Lovely idea. I could adapt this for my drawing a day for October - shadows etc.

maryom said...

We've had the most lovely September here - sunny,warm and often nicer than August. Unfortunately it hasn't prepared us for autumn and a sudden overnight ground frost last night came as a shock!

Iz said...

Just love those strips, and the soft edges. And I think honeysuckle is one of my most favourite things. I too have to "adjust" to the notion of the days shortening. I try and embrace it, and while things like dewy cobwebs and autumn colours are fantastic things, I do still struggle! Great to have you back :)

Jill said...

I've been neglecting blogger too. Good to see your post is as inspiring as ever.

Linda’s Textiles said...

Nice to catch up with your blog - lovely things as ever! Love the strips and your shadows - hope you can find a local supplier for thermofax screens! Thanks for visiting my new website - I'll be having a giveaway this month.

Anonymous said...

Glad you peeked in. Life got in the way here, working on the farmhouse, but we move soon. Love your fabric wall hanging, so you. Glad you are making a bit of time for creating. We miss you. xox

Julie said...

Lovely to see you back again. Autumn has arrived with avengeance today, it's been very wet and windy. We have just got back from a sunny and warm Cornwall so it's a bit of a shock. I love edges too and your wallhanging is evolving beautifully. xx

Jan said...

Those shadows are spectacular! So much beauty all around us if we only pause to notice. I too have been too busy to be real productive art wise. Always good to see what you are up to.

suziqu's thread works said...

Lovely to hear from you Emma - like me you're back creating again.
Your little hearts really pull at mine!
Your new wall hanging is looking so textural and pretty!
x Suzy

jackie said...

Thanks for visiting. You sound to be very busy. By the way I suspect all you cucumbers came south to Hampshire, as we have had a glut, just finishing the last one.

layers said...

You have so many different works here along with so many images I do not know where to start.. but they are all so beautiful!

Kim Henkel Creations said...

Oh yes the swallows are gone, and my autumn has gone - now into early winter. Really love your shadow photos!

Suztats said...

Those shadows do look mesmerizing. A little unnerving, too, and brings back those menacing movies in black and white TV days of eons ago........hmmm, maybe it's that Hallowe'en is soon upon us, and I've seen one too many Vincent Price movies......muahahahahah....
Lovely little heart.

Anonymous said...

Stunning subtle and smoky shadows. They're reminiscent of really early photographs. Love what you're doing with the peacock fabric too.