Saturday 27 April 2013

a little bit of everything

It's been a birdie week so I made a collage or 2 in honor of my first Swallows. I was sooo excited, they were flying over the next door's pond & as I stood & watched they swooped quite near me



They are CD case sized. I carved a rubber small enough to use for cards, below & thought I'd use it for collage too.


Quite sweet but I need to refine the initial drawing a bit so it doesn't look too much like a person flying about the place ;)

 I was looking thru my fabric for a pink to go with last week's squares & came across a skirt that I'd recently sorted into the studio from a pile that was waiting for alteration...if I told you I wore it thru my pregnancies you will agree with me that it was about time something was done, it was huge!
Above in it's component parts. Not sure what I'll do with the pockets or the boring white label but the rest will go into backing, loops & cords - the lacy bit is big but it can be peeping out behind something, I'm sure. It does pay to cut up an item of clothing as I find I just see clothes & not fabric if I don't, decision made! There's a piece cut to size for the 6 squares, more work to be done on them  & oh it's getting closer, the show ;( & to top it all, I've gone & organized what might turn out to be a fun creative day next week, I will make sure it does. The start of many I hope.


I made a mini 'cushion cover'  I suppose you could call it, bag holder, above, to keep sacs in for the B&B bathrooms, (well you have to when you have a septic tank) Couldn't stand the plastic bag with a 50's baby on it any longer, only taken me 7 years.  This one is to fit the blue bathroom & I have another one in the making for the sage green bathroom. I actually had some sage green cotton, where from I don't know.


 More birds; for a couple of days I have had 7 or so rooks around the bird feeders, most unusual. They must be very hungry, poor things for the amount of seed there is. The ducks from the next door pond visit for spring week ends ;)


A Reed Bunting visited for the first time, very exciting! Before moving here I'd never put myself down as a twitcher & now I can't get enough of the things. I read they like dry areas, not that dry & reeds usually go together, nor do Skye & dry till recently tho we're back to the lovely variety of sunshine & showers. It's definitely Spring tho as I heard the first Cuckoo yesterday. Birds, I just love them!

12 comments:

Maggi said...

Your swallow work is lovely. You are so lucky to have them there, and the cuckoo. I heard recently that the Scottish cuckoos are faring better than the English ones because of the route they take to Africa.

ju-north said...

such a lovely mix of 'news' in your post! We saw a couple of swallows here this week

Gill said...

Our swallows arrived a few days ago but I haven't heard the cuckoo yet!

Robin Mac said...

I love that pink colour, will be wonderful in your work.
Your birds are so different from ours! We have swallows which I love, but we have about seven or eight cuckoos and most of them make the most horrid screeching sound - Koel cuckoos have a plaintive, piercing call which goes on half the night, making them most unpopular. Enjoy your sunshine. Cheers

Anonymous said...

Amazing birds round your way, us too, seems like more than usual in the Spring...Lovely swallows. I adore watching them fly about my neighbor's barn...Happy week to you Emma. xox

Jan said...

I watched 2 swallows chasing each other yesterday, moving incredibly fast, swooping around. They were amazing. We don't have Rooks around here, just crows and ravens. I love observing them. today I was struck by the thought that crows are our mini equivalent of dragons. Probably because I am so engrossed by the Blood of Dragons book I am reading by Robin Hobb.

Jill said...

Love reading your mixed bag of news. Looking at your dissected skirt I was trying to work out if you'd made a bikini top or bottom, but I think it's the pockets!

Kim Henkel Creations said...

Oh how lucky to have all these beautiful birds. I am waiting, but we still have lots of snow. We do have lots of Redpolls, but I am waiting for the spring birds to arrive. I can tell you are enjoying them!

Heloise said...

Lovely collages, such subtle strong colours.

The swallows used to come back to the farm on April 23rd, amazing that this happens, I've not seen any yet.

Have fun creating new things from your pink fabric.

Jensters said...

Wow they are lovely collages....loving the colours too.

Julie said...

Love the collages. We saw our first swallows of the year down in Cornwall about 10 days ago, wonderful!

Suztats said...

Love your bird creations, Emma!