Saturday 21 April 2012

A lovely night out

Just been to see 'Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (for the elderly & beautiful ) That's what I'm going to be from now on, old & beautiful! It was a fabulous film, my textile arty buddy Jo suggested it - she's actualy been to Jaipur but I felt as tho I had been tonight. See it if you can ;)

Finished my collage, hope my customer likes it! Thanks for the 'love' word suggestions.








A 'beige' (!) brooch to match, a corner left from the heart. The origonal collages from early last year were inspired by Ruth Rae if you remember.







I wanted to start on a hanging based on a flower, no surprise there, inspired by a flower I made in a class given by Diedre Nelson a few moons ago. But due to the upheaval of moving things around to make a second B&B room I couldn't find it. I'll let you know if I do ;) The link is an old blog post on flowers in a hosital....probably similar to her class then. This is a quick sketch I made last year (it would have been quick as it's on receipt paper....from work  shhh ;)


It's going to be quite big, 3 or so feet long, anyway.....I think. I want to make the elements in parts & bring them all together as one, just like she who inspires me Beryl Taylor who wrote Mixed Media Explorations. Wish I'd been to Egypt! I've got a way to go, I think, this is all I managed!


I've decided I need to make 6 or 7 petaled flowers from now on, Clematis, say. It looks like a starfish with barnacles!!! The pre dyed cloth came from an inspiration pack I think & the cerise colored silky feel fabric, good old charity shop stuff. So I still like the color combination. A sample for sure ;)

I've got a few hours gardening time in this week (oops, given away my secret!) I heard my first Skylark, unmistakable & even saw my first swallow this year. Unbelievable, but all so promising ;) Nothing like a little sun on your face.


22 comments:

Suztats said...

Your collage is sure to please! It's so organic looking with lots of bits and texture. Happy creating.

Numinosity said...

I have to see that movie, having been in Jaipur recently. Our cab driver had a picture of Judy Dench in his friend's cab.
I think your customer is going to love the collage.
xoxo Kim

Beverley Baird said...

What a lovely collage! I am sure it will be greatly loved!

suziqu's thread works said...

Yes that was such a fabulous movie which, at our age, I am sure so many would appreciate. Judy Dench is brilliant!
Your heart collage is also brilliant Emma!
Happy Spring Gardening,
x Suzy

ArtPropelled said...

Your betrothed collage is beautiful and I'm sure your customer will LOVE it! Can't wait to see Marigold Hotel.

ju-north said...

I love your motivatiion and inspiration! I have piles and piles of textile work and samples all over the house and nothing to do with them!

Carol Rigby said...

What a lovely collage, I love all the layers.I am sure your customer will be very pleased with it.

Jill said...

Thought I was on the wrong blog there for a minute as the collage and brooch are just not your usual colours - but sure to please, non the less. The betrothed piece is lovely, you make it look so easy, but you have a great skill in piecing the elements together. Looking forward to watching your new piece develop.

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

Your collages are so creative.
You have a way of combining the different textures so that your piece has a certain harmony at the end.
I love the one with the musical note.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, delicate collage - it'll be loved, I'm sure ;-)

Anonymous said...

Nice work Emma, your missing work will turn up when you need it. A second room, eh, more work though....finally some rain here which we desperately need so no gardening for a few days, then some serious transplanting is in order. xox

Nellie said...

Very talented, Emma. I have a birthday on Wednesday, so I will definitely be "old." Mary Kay Cosmetics helps me work on the beautiful.:)

Sarah Sequins said...

I like your five-pointed flower. It does look like a starfish, though! It might look pretty with some other underwater shapes. :)

Also, I love the brooch. I have such a fascination with fabric/fiber jewelry!

My Creative House said...

Your collage is so beautifully made Emma, love the heart and the word.
Anni

Catharina Maria said...

I love the things you have made , are that ATCs ?
♥RINI♥

Fibre frenzi said...

We missed the film. Really want to see it..love your site. Alison

Heloise said...

I've only heard good comments about the film, must try and see it. Love your top collage.

Parabolic Muse said...

These are pretty! I like seeing the planning stages of your piece, too.

I loved the previews of that film, so I really look forward to seeing it now.

Dorothy said...

My husband and I went to see Marigold Hotel this week too and thoroughly enjoyed it. We do not go to many films so I was pleased that he wanted to go and see this as friends had recommeded it. Look forward to seeing your article in WOw.

Linda’s Textiles said...

I've been meaning to see that film for a while - maybe next week!
Lovely collage too.
Happy creating.

Anonymous said...

I love the collages and the 'starfish' is fabulous! I think it's the ocean coloured fabric adding to the sea feel. Perhaps on a mottled green background it might have looked more flower like.

Iz said...

I'm just catching up with blogs - you've been busy! I love the little piece with the snippet of music.